History of The Taylor House
Did you know?
- Flagstaff Medical Center donated the land for The Taylor House.
- The house was designed by Johnson Walzer Associates in Flagstaff.
- BEC Southwest built The Taylor House.
Discovering the history behind the house
Providing safe, low-cost lodging for patients and families near Flagstaff Medical Center has been a priority since the hospital was founded in 1936. Back then, compassionate physicians, nurses and medical staff frequently offered patients' loved ones a place to sleep in their own homes.
As medical center staff worked to raise funds to build the house, they received an outpouring of support from Northern Arizona businesses, organizations and individuals. In honor of their daughter, Jaime, the Golightly family made a generous contribution.
Peggy Taylor also made a sizable donation after her husband, Bill, passed away. Bill Taylor was a longtime Flagstaff businessman whose strong work ethic helped take Jeld-Wen from a small-town wood products company to an international success. This donation came from the sale of their home and was used as seed money to begin construction.
After it was built, The Taylor House was named in Bill's memory. His warmth and legacy live on in the caring environment of Northern Arizona's first hospitality house, which opened to patients and families in March 2001.